Eddie Howe confirmed that things were progressing well for Newcastle as they look to get a deal for Nick Woltemade over the line. The Magpies have agreed a £65million deal with Stuttgart in a move that could yet open the door to an exit for Alexander Isak.
The Premier League side have seen a series of moves fail to come to fruition already this summer. Howe's side have seen deals for Yoane Wissa, Benjamin Sesko and Hugo Ekitike and more all fail amidst rejected bids and players opting to sign for other teams.
But Germany star Woltemade, 23, is set to arrive at St James' Park before the transfer deadline. The forward, who stands at 6ft 6ins, scored 12 goals in the Bundesliga last season and sees Newcastle add to their forward line after saying goodbye to Callum Wilson earlier in the summer.
“Positive signs," said Howe in his press conference ahead of facing Leeds United. "Things are moving and developing in a good way at the moment."
The Magpies boss suggested more deals could be on the way too after already signing Aaron Ramsdale, Anthony Elanga and Jacob Ramsey in recent months. “We are still looking, there is still a chance to improve squad," he added.
READ MORE: Arne Slot responds to Newcastle's £65m transfer as Liverpool weigh up Alexander Isak bid
READ MORE: Newcastle's Nick Woltemade transfer move leaves rivals 'surprised and disappointed'
Newcastle have wanted to add two strikers to their squad before even considering the sale of wantaway forward Isak. The Magpies have already turned down an offer from Liverpool this summer and placed a £150m valuation on their star striker.
Isak has not trained with the first team since not travelling on the club's pre-season tour. The 25-year-old does not intend to play for Newcastle again as he attempts to force a move to Anfield.
Reds boss Arne Slot has given his verdict on the latest state of play. "Newcastle have signed a - and if it's true - a new No9 which is nice for Eddie because Gordon is suspended and Isak is not playing. So it's nice for them," said Slot in his press conference.

"After Monday night, I said that again I could make a sub that impacted the game. Federico and Rio, as always we try to sign players that can help us but there's no reason to complain after first two games.
"But if we can strengthen then we always try to do that for the right player and right player. Let's see if we do something what we can do."
Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
You may also like
Bihar SIR: EC sends notice to 3 lakh voters over 'doubtful citizenship'; border districts in focus
BWF World C'ship: Sindhu goes down fighting against Wardani, India's medal hopes rely on Satwik-Chirag (Ld)
Epping hotel LIVE: Judges overturn asylum ruling as Cooper forces town to take migrants
BJP slams Oppn over abusive language against PM Modi; Congress responds: 'Our culture doesn't allow it'
PM Modi's policies offer major boost to success of Indian athletes: Arunachal CM