Finally, Xavi Simons has completed his move to the Premier League. But instead of Chelsea, it's Tottenham Hotspur where the Netherlands international has pitched up.
The Dutch star has completed a £52million move to Spurs, signing a five-year deal with the option of a further two years. New Spurs boss Thomas Frank has been keen to sign a new No.10 following the serious injury to James Maddison during the summer. He now has his man, and is suitably delighted.
"I am really pleased we have brought Xavi in - he is a great addition to the squad," says Frank. "He is still young, however he already has good experience and, over the past few years, has played a lot of games at the top level. Xavi has proven his ability to get goals and assists, both from the No.10 position and left-wing. He also has a great eye for his team-mates in terms of unlocking defences, and I know he will come in and be part of a good team that is already working hard together."
READ MORE: Transfer news LIVE: Isak to Liverpool update, Man Utd agree £40m deal, Spurs close on Simons
READ MORE: Thomas Tuchel admits he's apologised to England star over 'repulsive' comments
Spurs' new No.7 said: "I'm really happy and can't wait to get going. I've been dreaming of this for a long time. It's a great club and when I met the head coach I knew straight away that this was the right place for me.
"I will bring flair to the team but also hard work and discipline. I want to do everything I can to win, for the team and also for the fans."
Spurs have started the season with back-to-back Premier League wins to give ex-Brentford boss Frank the ideal start to the new campaign, but injuries have caused problems with Maddison and Dejan Kulusevski both out. Eberechi Eze had been targeted, but ultimately moved to Arsenal instead after the Morgan Gibbs-White affair which left the club ultimately looking foolish.
For much of the summer, Simons, admired by the club's new coaching staff and the transfer hierarchy, had appeared out of reach. He wanted to leave RBL but Chelsea were in pole position. However, the Blues have been chasing both he and Alejandro Garnacho, with the Manchester United outcast now heading to Stamford Bridge after an initial £40m deal was agreed between the two clubs.
By that point on Thursday however, Simons had already decided he could wait no longer. His representatives and RBL had been approached by Spurs a number of weeks ago only to be told he had given his word to Chelsea. But as they dragged their feet, he decided earlier this week to move to North London, duly held talks with Frank and having been suitably impressed with the Dane, indicated that Spurs were the fit he required.
A medical was undertaken on Thursday, with Spurs operating cautiously so as not to stir interest from other rivals, and on Friday the deal was sealed.
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
You may also like
ITV The Fortune Hotel winners revealed and fans all say same thing about result
Owaisi Critiques RSS's Three-Child Advocacy, Accuses Them of Hypocrisy
Minneapolis gunman killed 2 children after breakup? Inside US shooter's final days — 'That scary horrible monster'
Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen set for major reboot as he makes huge move
Sachin Tendulkar Celebrates National Sports Day and India's Sporting Diversity